5 common questions about Feta
Certain foods are so closely linked with a specific nation or culture that even thinking of them makes you want to go on a vacation. Similarly, Feta makes one instantly think about Italian pasta, a Vietnamese spring roll, or a Greek salad.
Feta is a brined white cheese with its origins in Greece, made from sheep's milk or a combination of sheep’s and goat's milk.
This blog closely looks at feta cheese, detailing how it differs from traditional cheese, its storage, and usage.
1. How is Feta made?
Traditionally, feta cheese is produced entirely of sheep's milk or up to 30% of goat's milk. To coagulate the milk, the cheesemaker adds rennet, resulting in a curd that is separated from the whey and pressed into moulds to drain excess moisture. After being sliced into smaller blocks, the feta is salted and dried for a few days before being buried in salt brine for several weeks or months. When the cheese is ready to eat, it is chopped up, delivered, and sold while still brined, usually in a plastic container. Even when refrigerated, feta will dry up rapidly, which is why it should be kept in its briny liquid. Courtyard artisanal feta cheese is made of 100% fresh goat milk. It has a soft and creamy texture that you’ll fall in love with.
2. Difference between Goat milk feta and other feta cheese
The appearance and feel of goat milk feta and feta made from other milk sources are similar, but that's where the similarities end.
Check out the table below for a detailed comparison of goat milk feta with feta made from other milk sources to make the correct choice.
3. Where to buy fresh goat milk Feta?
Want to try creamy and soft feta cheese that melts in your mouth? Our traditionally prepared feta from free-range goat milk. It is aged to perfection and is chemical or preservative free.
Try Courtyard Farms Fresh, Creamy, and Soft Feta Cheese made from free-range goat milk directly from our website or online stores such as Amazon, Big Basket, Food cloud, India Mart etc.
4. How to store Feta?
Even when stored in the refrigerator, feta cheese can dry up due to its crumbly nature. To keep feta from drying out, it's best to store it in brine (a combination of water and salt) or salted milk.
5. How to use Feta?
Feta is a tangy Greek cheese that can be eaten plain, crumbled over salads, or melted between layers of flaky pastry. Here are the top ways you can use Feta in your meals and relish its taste.
- Greek pastries -Spanakopita and Tiropita (Greek for "spinach pie" and "cheese pie," respectively) are savoury Greek pastries made with feta cheese and other ingredients sandwiched between layers of flaky phyllo. They're salty, crunchy, and perfect for breakfast or snacking.
- Salads- Feta cheese is frequently crumbled over green salads, such as spinach with radishes or broccoli salad. Feta is a vital component for Greek salad, vegetable salad with sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and olives topped with a piece of feta cheese.
- Roasted vegetable sides- Feta melts fast in hot meals, making it ideal for finishing roasted vegetables like roasted beets or oven-baked green beans with almonds and feta.
- Feta and olive oil- Feta cheese is a delicious appetizer, especially when drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with oregano or red pepper flakes. It can be eaten alone or paired with toasted bread pieces.
- Pizzas and flatbreads- Feta cheese may be used as a mozzarella alternative or crumbled topping on any pizza or flatbread. It is especially popular with flatbreads with other Greek ingredients like olives and onions.
- Grilled feta- Grilling feta cheese slices (on a grill or in the oven) brings out the tanginess of the cheese. Herbed or peppered grilled feta is commonly served with toast or crackers.
Counted as one of the best sources of good fats, Feta cheese is highly recommended by fitness experts worldwide for the health benefits it boasts.
Make your meals tastier with Courtyard Farms fresh, preservatives-free, soft, and creamy feta cheese with next-day delivery in Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida, and Mumbai. And 2-5 days delivery in other parts of India. Order Now